For World IBD Day we would like to draw your attention to the Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). About ten million people worldwide (around three million in Europe) suffer from this chronic (lifelong) disease that is characterized by inflammation of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
IBD is characterized by inflammation of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and is an umbrella term for different subtypes of intestinal inflammation:
- Morbus Crohn or Crohn’s Disease (CD)
- Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
- Indeterminate Colitis (IC)
As the gastrointestinal tract is responsible for the digestion of food, absorption of nutrients and elimination of waste malfunction can lead to diarrhea, abdominal pain, irritation of the skin around the anus, weight loss, bloating, gas and other symptoms. Finally, the chronic or recurrent inflammation leads to a damage of the gastrointestinal tract.
Therefore, it is very important to diagnose IBD and monitor the treatment when using biologicals.
R-Biopharm is offering several tools to support clinicians in the diagnosis and monitoring of IBD.
- Calprotectin is a highly specific indicator of gastrointestinal inflammation which is used for the detection of IBD and for treatment monitoring. You will find more information about our RIDASCREEN® Calprotectin ELISA test here.
- Therapeutic drug monitoring can support clinicians in optimizing the therapy with Biologicals (for example Infliximab, Adalimumab, Golimumab, Vedolizumab and Ustekinumab). More information about our various rapid and ELISA tests here.
- We offer the alternative Bridge IBD Therapy Optimizer Tool.
You can find more information about the World IBD Day and IBD in general here: https://worldibdday.org/